Frank Cusack:
> until a name lookup has been done.  But if that name lookup takes a
> "very long" time, along with the connect postfix should log how long
> ago the actual connect was.

The SMTP server can find out long the name/address lookup took.
It does not juggle TCP packets.

The sysadmin should have done those name/address lookups by hand
as part of due diligence, and would have observed the exact same
delays that Postfix experienced.

> 2) There is something going on where postfix wasn't logging connects
> from my test host, which sent FIN instead of the actual problem host
> which was sending RST.  My guess would be that postfix is blocking on
> getnameinfo() so I don't see how the status of the client connection
> even comes into play, but it is curious.

No is the packet capture, and no Postfix logging. No support.