Henrik K wrote:
On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:44:48PM -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
Daily scanning of logfiles does not accomplish this. Nor would even an hourly scan - and constant logfile scanning strikes me as inelegant. If there is any method currently existing within Postfix to accomplish this goal please point me at it! If not, I'd like to discuss possible means and methods for a future implementation.

I've been meaning to make something like this for postfix, your post
refreshed me. Amavisd-new penpals is ok (and you can make other custom
queries to it's database), but it can't make MTA bypass all the ptr/helo/foo
checks. My main problem is all bad SOHO servers etc that get blocked by
those.

It can be achieved with a simple policy daemon that records all outgoing
recipients and/or relays and compares them for incoming messages, possibly
adding a header that you can also reuse in SA for scoring.
I created one - the problem is execution. I took the greylist.pl and tweaked it - and it now adds recipient addresses to a database very simply. But I only want that to happen with valid senders/clients. Placing this policy daemon, which always returns "dunno", in the smtpd_recipient_restrictions very simply generates a list of recipients - but without any validation. And duplicating validation within this daemon strikes me as wasteful.

Ideally, I'd like this daemon called immediately upon successful delivery, or at what Postfix determines as "successful delivery" based on the remote server response. Without tailing the logfile I don't see how else to accomplish it - but I don't LIKE that form of implementation. Might be the only way to do it at this time - but perhaps having such status messages available might be considered sufficiently worthwhile to implement a new feature?

--
Daniel