On 2010-01-20 Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> I have a problem with delivering mail to a host and get this error:
>
> host mx2.amsterdam.nl[145.222.14.10] said: 421 enepmx02.amsterdam.nl
> Error: timeout exceeded (in reply to end of DATA command)
>
> This error only seems to occur with 'large' mails. Currently I have a
> mail of ~600KB and ~8MB stuck in the queue. I don't think this is a
> postfix issue on our site but an issue with the mailserver on the
> other site. What can cause such issues?

AFAICS: slow connections, high connection concurrency (leaving little
bandwidth per connection), proxy filter or policy service taking too
long for checking the mail, etc.

However, since the timeout occurs on the remote side, you should contact
the administrator of that server about the issue.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky