lst_ho...@kwsoft.de:
> Zitat von Victor Duchovni <victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com>:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 03:54:47PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
> >
> >> The rules for display names are in RFC*22.  Look for the ABNF for
> >> display-name, phrase, word, and atom.
> >>
> >> Short answer: as long as =?iso-8859-1?Q?stuff?= looks like an
> >> RFC2822 atom, it needs no quoting.
> >
> > And of course, RFC 2047 ensures that encoded words are atoms.
>
> So the first one is correct and the second one not??
>
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6fler=2C_Verena?= <xx...@xxxxx.de>

This is a properly encoded string. If a mail system cannot deal
with it, then it mis-implements RFC 5322 syntax rules and RFC 2047
encoding.

Of course we know exactly what the bug is:  they apply RFC 5322
syntax rules on the DECODED string.

Instead, they must apply RFC 5322 syntax rules on the ENCODED
string.  That is the whole point of having RFC 2047 encoding in
the first place.

Putting unencoded quotes around an RFC 2047 encoded string violates
RFC 2047.  Inserting encoded quotes into an RFC 2047 encoded string
will break strings that already contain quotes.