On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:16:41AM +0100, lst_ho...@kwsoft.de wrote:

>> Same what? Can someone explain the observed issue in some detail?
>> All I am seeing is questions about an ill-advised hypothetical solution.
>>
>> When I put my Cyrillic name into Apple's MUA, the From: header read:
>>
>>     From: =?utf-8?B?0JLQuNC60YLQvtGAINCU0YPRhdC+0LLQvdGL0Lk=?= <mailbox>
>>
>> this does not include any double quotes, and Outlook reads it just fine,
>> at least with the one Outlook user I tested.
>>
>> Can someone explain with some specificity what problem you are trying
>> to solve, rather than the (so far misguided :-( ) solution?
>
> The problem is that on some mails sent from Outlook it is not possible to
> answer with Thunderbird because the sender address is split into two
> invalid mailadresses when doing a reply. This only happens when there are
> special chars in the display name but not every time.
>
> 1.) Mail created with Outlook/Exchange (MAPI)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6fler=2C_Verena?= <x...@xxxxx.de>
> To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27=22H=F6fler=2C_Martin=22=27?= <xx...@kwsoft.de>

The Outlook "From:" header is fine, no silly quotes.

The "To:" header is lame (but not illegal), it decodes to a value of:

        '"some text"'

use of single quotes by Outlook/Exchange in place of double quotes, dates
back to rather old versions of the software, I've not seen this brain-damage
since the 2003 versions (2007 is current and 2010 is in beta)...

> The To-Header is wrong (=22 -> "), with this Thunderbird creates two
> recpient addresses of the form:
>
> H?fler
> Verena <x...@xxxx.de>
>
> when doing reply.

The "From" header is perfectly fine, and if Thunderbird chokes on it,
then Thunderbird is broken, not Outlook.

> The User get a error because a invalid mailaddress so
> he/she cannot answer the mail. In Outlook 2000 this was also a problem when
> answering, Outlook >2003-SP3 seems to be fixed.
>
> 2.) Outlook 2003 without Exchange
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6fler=2C_Martin?= <xx...@xxxxx.de>
> To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Erwin_H=F6fler?= <xx...@xxxxx.de>
>
> From-Header is the same, To-Header is correct. No Problem when doing reply
> with Thunderbird.

This is a thunderbird bug, why does the "To:" header of the original
message break replies to identical "From:" headers.

> So it seems that Thunderbird is choking on the wrong To-Header from Outlook
> when doing a reply...

There is no "wrong" To-Header. File a bug-report with Mozilla.

--
        Viktor.

environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.