Voytek Eymont put forth on 3/20/2010 5:52 PM:
> one of the blacklist I use it is ix.dnsbl.manitu.net
>
> to my knowledge, it has been OK since I've set it up, with no known
> complaints
>
> what is the user's opinions on it's usefulness ?

This is one of the downsides to fully automated low threshold trap driven
dnsbls.  Similar to SORBS, ix.dnsbl.manitu.net will list any IP that sends
over the threshold amount of spam to its traps.  I stopped using this dnsbl
long ago for the same reason I stopped using SORBS--too many "FPs" and not
nearly enough blocking of actual spam to justify continued use.

That said, I only use dnsbls for outright blocking at smtp because I'm
philosophically opposed to content filters such as Spam Assassin.  That
said, IMHO, the proper way to use ix.dnsbl.manitu.net, SORBS, and similar
dnsbls is via scoring within something like Spam Assassin, but not for
outright blocking.

For quite some time now my other spam countermeasures are so effective that
I'm rarely even querying my configured dnsbls, which are only Spamhaus ZEN
and DBL.  I just added DBL recently to test it and it catches a few per day,
same as ZEN.  YMMV.

--
Stan