Am 21.03.2010 00:23, schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> Voytek Eymont put forth on 3/20/2010 5:52 PM:
>> one of the blacklist I use it is ix.dnsbl.manitu.net

got very less problems with them

anyway you can avoid problems with rbls if you use them selective i.e
only for 4 dotted reverse hostnames
or known dyndns ips etc
without loosing much filtering

>> to my knowledge, it has been OK since I've set it up, with no known
>> complaints
>>
>> what is the user's opinions on it's usefulness ?
>
> This is one of the downsides to fully automated low threshold trap driven
> dnsbls.  Similar to SORBS, ix.dnsbl.manitu.net will list any IP that sends
> over the threshold amount of spam to its traps.  I stopped using this dnsbl
> long ago for the same reason I stopped using SORBS--too many "FPs" and not
> nearly enough blocking of actual spam to justify continued use.
>
> That said, I only use dnsbls for outright blocking at smtp because I'm
> philosophically opposed to content filters such as Spam Assassin.  That
> said, IMHO, the proper way to use ix.dnsbl.manitu.net, SORBS, and similar
> dnsbls is via scoring within something like Spam Assassin, but not for
> outright blocking.
>
> For quite some time now my other spam countermeasures are so effective that
> I'm rarely even querying my configured dnsbls, which are only Spamhaus ZEN
> and DBL.  I just added DBL recently to test it and it catches a few per day,
> same as ZEN.  YMMV.

everyone has own spam, and own policy to that
i have case where zen is massive helpfull in client stage
rbls have their pros and contras everyone is free to use them as he likes

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria