Moe:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Matt Hayes:
> >> Yes.. I know this has come up quite a bit, but on freenode in #postfix
> >> this discussion once again erupted when someone mentioned a bug in
> >> postfix and referencing this:
> >>
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=214741
> >
> > They are talking about an eight-year old version of Postfix.
>
> I was the guy complaining on IRC, so I'd like to jump in and clarify:
>
> * The bug is still present in 2.7.0, which is not 8 years old
>
> * I think Mike Paul explains the problem pretty well on that ticket.
>
> * The bug is not debian specific and not triggered by doing anything
>   "special" other than leaving myhostname and mydomainname out of
>   main.cf.
>
> The problem boils down to postfix expecting 'gethostname()' to return
> a FQDN. This not the case on a properly configured linux host,
> regardless of the distribution (this is not debian specific).
>
> I apologize if it's actually a debian patch that introduced this
> behaviour, but from what I gather this is also how mainline postfix does it.
>
> If postfix goes to guess the FQDN when it isn't hardcoded in
> main.cf then it could just as well do it right, no?
>
> The right way, as explained by Mike Paul in that ticket, would be to
> call gethostbyname() on the return value of gethostname() and then split
> the result of *that* into hostname and domainname.

If this is a non-debian bug then I would like to see a bug report
that can be reproduced on a non-Debian host.

This is what happens on my non-Debian box when the kernel hostname
is not FQDN:

# The kernel hostname, as returned by gethostname(2)
tail% uname -n
tail

# The default mydomain "localdomain" when the kernel hostname is not FQDN.
tail% postconf -d mydomain
mydomain = localdomain

# The default myhostname, created from gethostname(2) and $mydomain.
tail% postconf -d myhostname
myhostname = tail.localdomain

As you see there is no guessing at all involved here.