On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 08:52:04PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Keld Simonsen:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am running majordomo with postfix for a number of email list, and I
> > have some trouble tracking down bounces. I thought that if I could have
> > some
> > customized Received: headers with the envelope receiver logged
> > eg by "for <user>" then I would be able to track some mutating adressees.
> > Seems like some postfixes do that, but mine does not.
> > I could not find something on it in the documentation or via google.
>
> Postfix logs "Received..for <recipient>" only if there is exactly
> one recipient.  Otherwise there would be a privacy violation of
> BCC recipients, including the addresses of mailing list members.
>
> > is there a way to customize the "received:"  header?
>
> That would be a mistake with multi-recipient mail.
>
> > Are there other best practices for tracking down bounces for majordomo
> > with postfix? Maybe having separate message ids per individual recepient?
>
> It's trivial with MTAs that implement standardized RFC 3462 style
> delivery status notifications. That's Postfix, Sendmail, and many
> other systems.
>
> With non-standard MTAs such as exim and qmail, it takes a bit of
> creative scripting.
>
> Another approach is to use VERP which sends one message per
> recipient and encodes the recipent in the bounce address.
>
> See http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html

I am trying the VERP way, and have a little difficulty to understand what to do.

I understand that there are two phases in the setup:

1. have sendmail generate an extended reply address,
   with the recipient added to the reply address, after a delimiter,
   which by default is "+" . the recepient address is added with the
   '@' replaced with '0'. this is activated by adding the -XV option
   to sendmail (using default values). Default values cover the rest.

2. when mail bounces, then have postfix forward the reply address
   owner+recepient=domain....@site.tld to ow...@site.tld  .
   this is activated in main.cf by the line
   recipient_delimiter = +
   and then the rest is done by default.

My question is where do I set up the -XV option to sendmail.
I sometimes just use an include in the alias file for a bigger list, and
sometimes I use
majordomo.

For majordomo I am using wrapper in the alias file. majordomo has  a number of
instances
in diverse files in /home/majordomo that either invoke /usr/sbin/sendmail or
/usr/lib/sendmail
Where to add -XV ?

For the non-majordomo lists - where do I invoke sendmail -XV ?

best regards
keld