Noel Jones put forth on 8/16/2010 10:03 AM:
> On 8/16/2010 9:36 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Ram put forth on 8/16/2010 8:19 AM:
>>
>>> But Enterprise quality SSD's are so expensive. I can get an additional
>>> server and still save money.
>>
>> I call BS:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023
>>
> ...  Yeah, it's fast.
>>
>> Whether you consider it "enterprise" quality or not, it's Intel, and
>> it ain't
>> gonna fail.  If I was running an MX farm that needed maximum
>> performance, I'd
>> already have one of these in each server, many months ago. ;)
>>

> The Intel X25-E series is enterprise-grade.  The 64G model sells for
> $700~$800.  Quite a bit more expensive than the consumer X25-M series,
> but better suited for server use, and still far less than a decent server.
>
> Can't say for sure without testing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
> SSD is faster than two servers sharing the load.

"Enterprise grade" or not, this 80GB SSD's 160GB big brother tests out at over
17,000 random write IO/s.  I don't find test data for the 80GB model, but
given Intel's spec claims for each and extrapolating, the 80GB model should be
only 25% slower, equaling 12,750 random write IO/s.  At that rate, it should
easily give the OP a 10x increase in queue throughput assuming he's currently
using a 4 x 15k RPM SAS drive RAID 0 stripe for his queue.  If his queue is
currently on a single 15k SAS drive, his throughput increase using this 80GB
Intel SSD would be over 42x.

"Enterprise grade" usually has far more to do with these things and little to
do with performance or failure rates:

1.  Warranty period
2.  Longer availability period before EOL--longer spares availability
3.  More extensive interoperability testing, or sometimes far less testing,
but a certification that the device will work with other brand's model "X"
devices.

Google uses less than 1/10th of 1% "Enterprise grade" hardware, using the
typical definition of "Enterprise grade", in their operations.  And Google is
the undisputed single largest operator of servers on the planet.  I think that
qualifies them as an "Enterprise". ;)

"Enterprise" is a marketing term, not a technical one.  Too many people are
cowed and convinced that they "need" "Enterprise" gear.  This is far from the
truth for well over 99% of server OPs.

--
Stan