Stan Hoeppner put forth on 8/16/2010 6:56 PM:
> Wietse Venema put forth on 8/16/2010 2:36 PM:
>> Stan Hoeppner:
>>> Google uses less than 1/10th of 1% "Enterprise grade" hardware, using the
>>> typical definition of "Enterprise grade", in their operations.  And Google
>>> is
>>> the undisputed single largest operator of servers on the planet.  I think
>>> that
>>> qualifies them as an "Enterprise". ;)
>>
>> Indeed, but then Google's scale of operations is not representative
>> of most enterprises.  Large companies (I work for one) can self-insure
>> for small accidents, small companies can't.
>
> Wietse have you done any testing with SSDs?  If not, would you like to?  I'm
> sure various vendors would be glad to loan you some.  Get a mix of "consumer"
> and "enterprise" SSDs.  And make sure you get one of the Intel X25-E 80GB
> units. :)

I should have made clear that they will do this for you, because you are,
well, you.  ;)  I'm a nobody, so they won't loan me the hardware. :(  I need
to see if I can get a gig doing reviews for hardware sites.  I kinda grew out
of being a hardwarefreak a while back or I'd probably be doing reviews now. :(

--
Stan