On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:32 AM, LuKreme wrote:

> On 19-Aug-2010, at 13:08, D G Teed wrote:
>>
>> The only place I've seen which publicly talks about
>> the reverse DNS requirement is AOL.
>
> Craigslist requires that the reverse DNS match EXACTLY the mail server name.
> So, if your mailserver doubles
> as a dns server and your primary rDNS point to ns1.mydomain.tld and you send
> mail from mail.mydomain.tld, craigslist will reject it.

why
mail from is from your host name. your host name should say mail.mydomain.tld =
ipaddress , ip address should = mail.mydomain.tld
we are talking about sending mail right ?
receiving for the domain, thats a different record.

> They also never answer admin mail, so I've just told people using my
> mailservers to use gmail for craigslist since I don't have spare IPs lying
> around.
>
> I used reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname and I tried
> reject_unknown_client_hostname but that as very bad. Don't go there.

i would love to implement reject_unknown_client_hostname. the world would be a
better place.
i can see many reasons why having a fully qualified name is appropriate. A mail
server for one should be able to say yes to ip = name and name = ip.