On 09/01/2010 08:21 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 20:13 +0200, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
On 08/25/2010 03:17 PM, Zhou, Yan wrote:
Hi there,
We want to implement SMTP authentication in Postfix and support multiple
virtual domains. Rather than having user/domain/endpoint in different
files, we prefer them either in database (Oracle) or LDAP. I am trying
to weigh the pros and cons of both options. I have not seen examples
about Oracle (most are with MySQL). We are building a new system, so we
do not have any legacy data to migrate.
Anyone have an opinion or can direct me to some documents that outline
pros and cons of Oracle integration and LDAP integration with Postfix? I
already got LDAP working and find it fairly easy, not sure if Oracle
integration is just like that.
Adding to the earlier replies, it won't be that easy at all, because
there is no postfix support for Oracle maps.
Postfix, of course, doesn't do SMTP authentication - it asks an SASL
provider, which says "yes" or "no".
In this sense, postfix support for $yourbackend is only part of the
equation - your chosen SASL provider must support it too.
Currently supported SASL providers are Cyrus and dovecot;
SASL with LDAP is pretty common.

I never said it wasn't common, I clarified that SASL backends have nothing to do with postfix.
He seemed unsure, or mixing them up.

  one advantage
of dovecot is that it supports just about absolutely any backend you can
think of - except, obviously, Oracle - and I really like its easy
configuration.
+1 Cyrus.  Even easier configuration, robust, fast, and feature
complete.

Perhaps I will have to re-visit Cyrus sometime :)