On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Victor Duchovni
<victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:56:41AM -0700, Yang Zhang wrote:
>
>> How do you get Postfix to keep a log of all outgoing mails, in their
>> complete form (all headers + payload) as received from clients? The
>> closest param I've found so far are always_bcc & friends, but these
>> lose some information (at least the BCC field). Thanks in advance for
>> any hints.
>
> The archives of this list contain suggestions of how to achieve this
> with a regexp or pcre recipient_bcc_maps which generates copies of
> the message without losing envelope information.

Was this the technique?

http://www.arschkrebs.de/postfix/postfix_archive.shtml

I tried this, but it doesn't preserve envelope information (BCCs are
still lost - which makes sense to me and is what I expected).

> The alternative, as suggested by Wietse, is an SMTP "Y-adaptor" that forks
> an SMTP transaction into two streams. I've been using this approach for
> 5+ years. Messages are transmitted in parallel to both the archive and
> the real destination, but "." is sent to the archive stream first, and
> if that fails, the transmission to the real destination is aborted.
> This has proved quite reliable.
>
> The main risk is that mail can be archived, but the main delivery could
> tempfail, leading to multiple archive copies. It is useful to have
> de-duplication logic in the archive-stream. And of course keep that
> parallel to the archive next-hop as reliable as possible, in my case,
> a local Postfix instance that does the real message routing.

We were planning to handle things at our application level, but we
wanted to first see if there was a simple way to accomplish this
already with Postfix.

Thanks to the helpful responses.
--
Yang Zhang