Victor Duchovni:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 12:54:24PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > What I could do for now is a contact footer with dynamic context
> > such as the SMTP server PID and client IP address.  That information
> > is already in the maillog file.
> >
> > So this would change the feature to:
> >
> >     smtpd_reject_contact_information =
> >     For assistance, call 800-555-0101 (pid=$pid, client=$client_addr)
> >
> > The result would look like:
> >
> >     554-5.5.1 <u...@example>: Recipient address reject: User unknown
> >     554 5.5.1 For assistance, call 800-555-0101 (pid=7283,
> > client=192.168.1.248)
> >
> > The helpdesk person then looks for "[7283]" and "192.168.1.248" in
> > the maillog file.  This would lift some, but not all, of the mystery
> > with commands that Postfix rejects (syntax, etc.) without logging
> > them.
>
> This would likely need to also be implemented in postscreen. :-( If
> keyword-substitution is supported, apart from $pid, and $client_addr
> also $rfc822_date would perhaps be useful to help search logs for the
> right day.

PID logging isn't useful with postscreen(8) because there is only
one process, so I'll add a localtime attribute. The rfc822_date
string seems too long to be useful; we need something that people
can use in a phone call.

> With this, there is no need to separately log the helpful footer, the
> information is already present in the receiving server logs, the footer
> makes it more readily available to sender sites to aid in event correlation.

Yes, that was the idea, giving the client some of the session
attributes that are already in the logs.