Victor Duchovni:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 03:36:41PM +0100, Mark Scholten wrote:
>
> > >        Server response:
> > >
> > >        550-5.5.1 <u...@example&gt: Recipient address rejected: User
> > > unknown
> > >        550 5.5.1 For assistance, call 800-555-0101
> > >
> > >        This feature is available in Postfix 2.8.
> >
> > Thank you. Is it possible to let this new setting contain something that
> > contains the client IP and/or something so we could identify it with a
> > script?
>
> Identify what with a script?
>
>[talk about stuff in logfiles]

I'm just guessing, but I suspect that this is about making trouble
shooting easier, like putting some unique "trouble ticket" like
string in the 4XX or 5XX response that is easily located in the
logfile, so they can quickly locate the entire session in the log.

  smtpd_reject_contact_information =
        For assistance, call 800-555-0101 with ticket $instance

(where instance is the SMTP server PID and a sequence number, it's
the same attribute used in the SMTP policy server protocol).

This is not as simple as it sounds (apart from the need to provide
the $name expansion module).

Postfix currently does NOT log the contact footer to the maillog
file. There are tons of places in Postfix that reject a command
(e.g., bad syntax, or some requested feature not available) without
logging that the command was rejected. That would just make it too
easy for the bad guys to flood the maillog file with garbage.

I could change postfix to ALWAYS log the contact footer to the
maillog fil3, but then you'd get lots of contact footers in the
maillog without any indication of why they were logged.