Am 10.01.2011 14:11, schrieb John Adams:

> As it may take some time to build up software packaging facility

where is the problem to take the source-package and
try to replace the programsource for a rebuild?

On RHEL/Fedora you take the srpm, install it as builduser, put
the newer tarball under SOURCES, edit the SPECFILE and do
a "rpmbuild -bb postfix.spec", i do this since a long time
necause i rebuild all our core-services with optimized
gcc-flags

To learn building/rebuilding packages for your distro
is good knowhow because it affects other packages too
and later you can deploy your version with a own repo
on thousands of machines if needed, dependencies are
resolved and so on....

> I suggest you make a clean install on a vmware

Jep the builduser, environemnt etc. should be a VM
Jere too, one for i386 and one for x86_64 :-)

> I do use root permissions to build, but I do it on a build host

bad practice is everywhere bad practice

some source packages disallowing this as long you do not
modifie the sources, ok a snapshot can revert back
but it is nicer prevent damage instead repair and
be sure if this happens your latest snapshot is old enough
that revert hurts :-)

More than that I do preliminary checks of the

--

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH