You could take a look too to postfix quota reject project,
http://postfixquotareject.ramattack.net/. It's a postfix policy code which
enforces quotas in maildir and cyrus mailboxes. It's another option and works
with either a normal mail server with postfix installed or with an isp
structure in which you could have mail scanning machines (running postfix) in
front of mailbox machines (running any mta)... postfix quota reject can query
this mailbox machines from front mail scanning machines and reject mail for
overquota mailboxes or with little modifications... return a 4xx if you prefer,
but always avoiding clogging queues or backscattering.

Bye!!