On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 01:52:29PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > I don't think it's a good idea, it's part of the standard. We have smaller
> > (legitime) mail servers receiving mails having only A record.  Why would I
> > need MX record, if A is ok for me?  I only set up MX records when it's
> > needed (the DNS name itself has an A record already but MTA receiving its
> > mail is not at the same address as A record would tell), otherwise I leave
> > it
> > alone with the A record only. I think there is no problem with this
> > practice.
>
> in fact you should not do this because it needs two dns-queries for
> the sending server everytime and you set the MX only once

Yes that's true, however we have some customers with really low-traffic mail
domains but they have totally messed up DNS setup sometimes (having IP
address in MX record, CNAME/MX collusion etc - and we have no control over
their zones) so only in this case it's a local policy here to suggest the
simpliest dns setup, even if it needs an MX lookup first then for A. I would
not do this with any other MTAs receiving more mails than only "some".