On 6/5/2011 8:36 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner:
>> On 6/4/2011 6:25 AM, /dev/rob0 wrote:
>>
>>> My recommendation to the OP is to consider outsourcing this. It will
>>> not cost that much, and a reputable email service provider can be
>>> well worth what they charge.
>>>
>>> Conversely to do it inhouse I would recommend tearing it all down and
>>> starting over with a recent and well-supported OS. It might look
>>> cheaper on the short-term bottom line to beg on the Internet for help
>>> in keeping the old install running, but when things go wrong, as they
>>> surely will, the costs will skyrocket in ways not yet imagined.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Outsource the sending of these shareholder notifications to a reputable
>> bulk mailer.  Stating you are running an EOL OS and EOL Postfix tells us
>> you are not up to the task of successfully pulling this operation off.
>
> Sorry, you can tell people they run old code, but there is no need
> to say they are an idiot. The platform may lack some features, but
> it is technically good for a 15k mail sending operation. The
> recommendation to outsource has nothing to do with the software.

"not up to the task of successfully pulling this operation off"

does not equal, nor translate to saying

"you are an idiot"

There are plenty of smart people on the net who have been unsuccessful
with their first (and 2nd, and 3rd) attempt at bulk mailing, as
demonstrated by their frequent requests for help on anti spam mailing
lists.  The OP will apparently be attempting to send important financial
information with his first bulk mailing attempt.

The OP's mention of using very old SMTP software seems to indicate he
hasn't been keeping up with the world of SMTP/internet mail, nor
managing email system on a regular basis.

My comment was not intended to be offensive, and I apologize as
apparently it was to some.  It was merely intended as smelling salt[1]
under the nose of the OP.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelling_salts

--
Stan