On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

On 1/11/2012 11:15 PM, Al Zick wrote:
Hi,

For a while we ran Qmail. Qmail would accept all emails regardless,
creating a very serious backscatter problem. Of course, switching to
Postfix with it configured to only accept emails for our recipients
fixed this problem.

Qmail can be properly patched for checking a valid rcpt list in a cdb database avoiding this problem. Just as a detail... and yes without breaking smtp-auth.

Still we seem to be losing the war with spam. I
whitelisted any server that has a .forward set to mine. Any email from a
server that is whitelisted gets delivered. This is unacceptable, so I
started using procmail with some rules so that email from servers that
are whitelisted just get delivered without any filtering. Could someone
recommend some low resource way of rejecting more spam. I am considering
policyd.

http://www.postfix.org/docs.html
See section "UCE/Virus"

I suppose there's no the situation... but if you have a mail scanning machine in front of a mailbox storage machine (where mailboxes are) and the mailbox machine has an smtpd instance accesible from the Internet it should not be accepting unathenticated mail not comming from the mail scanning machine.

Apart from this if you use some trustable RBL, perhaps greylisting and you update Spamassassin rules regularly... you should be pretty fine...

--
Stan