On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Noel Jones wrote:

> On 2/14/2012 8:45 AM, jeffrey j donovan wrote:
>> greetings
>>
>> I have a couple of PPC 10.5 machines running as authenticated smtp relays. I
>> upgraded postfix to 2.9.0 using macports.
>>
>> I am running into a warning when I run postfix check.
>>
>> /opt/local/sbin/postconf: warning: /opt/local/etc/postfix/main.cf: unused
>> parameter: smtpd_use_pw_server=yes
>> /opt/local/sbin/postconf: warning: /opt/local/etc/postfix/main.cf: unused
>> parameter: smtpd_pw_server_security_options=login,cram-md5
>> /opt/local/sbin/postconf: warning: /opt/local/etc/postfix/main.cf: unused
>> parameter: enable_server_options=yes
>>

>> these options were to access my local password server for authentication.
>> Is there an alternate command ?
>> how do I get my users to authenticated without creating another password
>> database ?
>
> These are options that Apple patches into postfix, and looks as if
> they didn't fully patch 2.9.0 to make "postfix check" aware of the
> apple-specific parameters.

I'm not familiar with the macports versions but they are different from what
Apple provides. Apple provided Postfix comes with Mac OS distributions and
updates.

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is rather ancient these days but is the last version
that runs on PPC (Power PC) systems. I have no way to check right now but what
Apple would have been distributing then is Postfix 2.low. Even under 10.6 (Snow
Leopard), I think it was a 2.4.x version.

Currently, with Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion), it's Postfix 2.8.4. No 2.9 from Apple
yet (I'm currently running OS X 10.7.3 and Postfix 2.8.4 on my home server).

> You can safely ignore these warnings, and report the problem to your
> package provider.

The package provider for the 2.9 the OP is trying to run is macports but the
parameters are specific to an Apple distributed version. Not really macports'
problem. In one sense, switching from an Apple version of postfix to the
macports version is the same as switching from another MTA to Postfix. While
they're both called Postfix, one cannot just be dropped in in place of the
other. I think the OP needs to figure out how the macports version handles
authentication.

--
Larry Stone
lston...@stonejongleux.com