On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 03:59:22PM -0500, Peter Blair wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Reindl Harald
> <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:
> > how do other people act with such braindead sh**t?
>
> Look into greylisting it.  You'll find that greylisting could very
> well deal with most of the bots that things like zen.spamhaus.org
> would normally deal with.  And strictly speaking, you're not
> filtering it -- just making a policy decision to not accept the
> transaction before the DATA section ;)

Personally I do not consider strict RFC interpretation to be worth
more than the time it takes to sort through the garbage. All my mail
is subjected to Zen and BRBL blockage (with DNSWL and SWL exceptions
allowed.) Very little spam here since I decided to do that. (Most of
what does get through is to the postmaster addresses, however.)

postscreen/smtpd_reject_footer is a safety net. A real sender can
view that and figure out alternate means of contact. That has not
happened in the time since smtpd_reject_footer was implemented here.

I'd much rather give someone a rejection, than accept their mail and
miss it in a flood of spam.