On 12/12/2012 01:00 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 12/11/2012 2:03 AM, martijn.list wrote:

I guess in practice hardly no one will use it in this form but since I'm
working on a web gui on which users can enter some RBL syntax I had to
check what formats are accepted or not.

Then you need to read the RFC here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5782

For startes, only 127/8 is allowed in DNSxL replies.  127.0.0.1 is NOT
allowed.  You may also want to put a help box on the screen with the
Posttfix documentation for reject_rbl_client, or a more average person
digestible version of it.  I assume this is a control panel for paying
customers, who are usually not the most technical types.

<nitpick mode>

rfc5782 says:

There is no widely used convention for mapping sublist names to bits
or values, beyond the convention that all A values SHOULD be in the
127.0.0.0/8 range to prevent unwanted network traffic if the value is
erroneously used as an IP address.

A should is not a must and a convention is a convention :)

</nitpick mode>

Anyway whether or not using anything other than 127/8 is beside the point.

According to http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_rbl_client

reject_rbl_client rbl_domain=d.d.d.d

is a valid syntax. This was what I tested, nothing more nothing less. The Postfix main config parser didn't like the first "d" to be placed within square brackets even though the documentation says this should be possible, again whether or not you should do this is beside the (my) point. Wietse created a patch for this a few days back (12/10/2012).

Using anything other than 127/8 is discouraged and probably never tested by anyone. However the implementation was not in line with the documentation or vice versa :)

Kind regards,

Martijn Brinkers

--
DJIGZO email encryption