* Wietse Venema <postfix-users@postfix.org>:
> Patrick Ben Koetter:
> > > Next, a few examples that are likely to be implemented:
> > >
> > >     postconf -M# service-type ...
> > >     postconf -M# service-type.service-name ...
> > >
> > >     postconf -MX service-type ...
> > >     postconf -MX service-type.service-name ...
> > >
> > >         Delete (or comment) out the specified services.
> >
> > Would it make sense - differing from main.cf behaviour - to revert
> > comments in master.cf?
>
> In both cases, I don't understand how that would work.

Neither do I.

Here's the problem I'd like to solve: The submission service is commented out
by default. Nowadays I enable it very often when I install Postfix. Issuing a
command that removes/reverts the comments from e.g. the submission service
sounds just like a feature that would solve my problem. Thus the investigation
if it made sense to revert comments in master.cf.

On a sidenote: At the moment "postconf -M ..." doesn't seem to list service
types that are commented out. Unless I haven't missed a way it would probably
make sense to list them if comments were to be reverted.

> > > I am contemplating a new class of master.cf operations that operate
> > > column-wise.  These currently have no main.cf equivalent.
> > >
> > >     postconf -Mu chroot=n inet unix fifo pass
> > >
> > >         Update the "chroot" column to "n" for all services.
> >
> > Would the new class also allow to edit a _single_ service e.g.:
> >
> >       postconf -Mu chroot=n inet.submission
>
> Of course. A pattern can match one entry or more.
>
> > Should postconf be able/offer to make backup copies before it acts a request
> > out?
>
> Should it with main.cf? Should we enourage the use of version control?

Somehow I fear that we will see more users having ruined their master.cf than
others having done the same to main.cf. Resurrecting a master.cf seems to be
more hard because of its higher inner complexity (columns etc.).

I think the documentation should encourage the use of version control. The
rest may remain every admins personal responsibility.

> > > And finally, a more complicated example:
> > >
> > >     postconf -Me 'text of complete master.cf entry'
> > >
> > >         Replace the specified master.cf service or add a new service.
> > >         Each postconf(1) command-line argument contains the text
> > >   of a complete master.cf entry. The new entry is line-wrapped
> > >   as with "postconf -Mf".
> > >
> > > This command syntax is consistent with existing "postconf -e"
> > > commands, where each postconf(1) command-line argument contains the
> > > text of a complete main.cf entry.
> >
> > In postconf(1) you wrote "-e   Edit the main.cf configuration file, and
> > update
> > parameter settings ..."
>
> The text is too vague and needs to be updated.  What happens in
> reality is "replace or add main.cf entry, using the complete entry
> given on the postconf command line".
>
> If there is a command to implement THAT FUNCTION for master.cf (add
> or replace entry, using the complete entry given on the postconf
> command line) then it should use the same -e option.
>
> > I haven't thought this through - you probably have: Wouldn't it be more
> > consistent to use only 'e' (as already for main.cf) instead of 'u' and 'e'
> > as
> > proposed for master.cf?
>
> "u" replaces a field in master.cf. It has no main.cf equivalent
> (replace a word in the middle of a line?) therefore should not use
> an option letter that is used for main.cf.

Got it.

Thanks

p@rick

--