On 25 Oct 2013 09:51, "Mark Goodge" <m...@good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

> On 24/10/2013 23:50, Tim Legg wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I'm not tring to do virtual domains.  Just trying to get it to work with
>> just one domain.  This time, I used this guide:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/postfix.html
>> I can telnet to my machine just fine on port 25.
>> I tried to send an e-mail from my address on mail.com to my own machine
>> to test it out. It bounced.  Below is the tail of my mail.log
>> postfix/smtpd[12344]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
>> mout.gmx.net[74.208.4.201]: 554 5.7.1 <m...@timothyxxxx.com>: Relay access
>> denied; from=<timx...@mail.com> to=<m...@timothyxxxx.com> proto=ESMTP
>> helo=<mout.gmx.net>
>> postfix/smtpd[12344]: disconnect from mout.gmx.net[74.208.4.201]
>

> Then it would appear that you haven't actually followed that guide
correctly. Under the "Basic configuration" section, it tells you how to
configure Postfix to receive mail for your domain:

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/postfix.html#postfix-configuration

> At a guess, you haven't correctly replaced 'example.com' with '
timothyxxx.com' when following those instructions. If you can show us the
output from 'postconf -n' then I suspect we can confirm that.

>> I read about this error on other forums, but I had no idea what they
>> were talking about.  I just need to do what needs to be done to make it
>> work.  Unfortunately, on Ubuntu, postfix doesn't seem to work
>> out-of-the-box.
>

> Postfix does work out of the box, in the sense that you don't need to add
any plugins or do any advanced configuration to make it work. Where default
settings are possible, then Postfix will work fine with the defaults. But
there are some settings for which a default value is impossible because it
will be different for every installation. Those settings have to be
configured correctly. One of the most important is the list of domains in
the 'mydestination' parameter.

>> I don't need to even relay mail, I just want my own
>> incoming mail to be delivered.  I don't get why this has to be so hard.
>

> It isn't hard. it just requires the ability to read and follow simple
instructions. If you think postfix is hard to understand, try exim, or
sendmail :-)

> Having said that, I'm not convinced that the Ubuntu Postfix documentation
is as clear and easy to follow as it could be. Using 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure
postfix' seems a rather unnecessarily obscure way of setting basic
parameters; I'm pretty sure most people would do 'sudo vim /etc/postfix/
main.cf' instead as that makes it a lot easier to see exactly what you need
to change.

> To be more specific about that, if you edit /etc/postfix/main.cf using
vim (or you favourite text editor) then you'll see a line which looks like
this:

> mydestination = example.com, localhost.example.com, localhost
>
> You need to make sure that it contains the domain you are receiving mail
for, like this:

> mydestination = timothyxxx.com, localhost.timothyxxx.com, localhost
>
> (The 'localhost.timothyxxx.com' entry may be superfluous, or
alternatively you may need to add other subdomains of your domain, but you
can tweak that later if necessary).

> Once you've set that correctly, reload Postfix and you should find it
accepts mail correctly from the Internet. If it doesn't, follow up to this
message with a copy of your output from 'postconf -n' and we can possibly
give you some more clues.

This also assumes the OP has set up the DNS correctly.  And if he's having
trouble understanding how to fix relay access denied, I would suspect not,
but I'll be happy to be wrong.

As others have said, we need postconf -n

Simon