> On 07 Jun 2014, at 10:39 , li...@rhsoft.net wrote:
>

> Am 07.06.2014 18:29, schrieb LuKreme:
>>
>> On 07 Jun 2014, at 09:53 , li...@rhsoft.net wrote:
>>
>>> i condsidered that but it would take weeks and months to
>>> explain all customers that they have to fix their client configs
>>> and i see even new configured clients using 25 because the idiotic
>>> MUA's still default to 25 and burrie the port setting somewhere
>>> under "expert" or "extended" settings, so you can't do that if
>>> you have hundrets of customers with all sort of devices
>>
>> Don't most modern clients try 25 first, then fall back to other ports (587
>> and the stupid one I forget and don't support)?
>
> the stupidity is trying 25 first

That is still what most servers support or even require.

>> When I eliminated connecting on port 25 for clients it was pretty seamless,
>> albeit most of them are Mac users, so they never even noticed the change.
>
> define "modern client"
>
> i had *recently* one which client did not work after we
> switched to a 4096/SHA-256 cert, guess what, Eudora on
> a Apple machine, yes i answered with "i don't care"

Eudora? Eudora hasn’t been supported for many many years,a nd hasn’t had much
if any envelopment on it for a decade. Certainly not modern in any sense of the
word.

>>> iPhones and Apple Mail permanently disable SASL auth for unknown
>>> reasons or in case of password changes need to re-configure the
>>> outgoing mailserver seperated from the incoming creating enough
>>> work for a sysadmins lifetime
>>
>> I have no idea what you are talking about; I've never had any issue with
>> secure connections from iOS or OS X to my mail server
>
> did i say anything about secure connections?

You said SASL auth.

> * the setting for using authentication get lost repeatly
>  if you haven't seen that you have to few Apple users
>  the iPhones try again and again after that send unautheticated

Never seen that. Run OS X and iOS all day every day, as do many users.

> * after heartblead we forced all users to change their passwords
>  on the stupid Apple clients you need to change the password seperatly
>  for incoming and outgoing mail while even Outlook for a decase has
>  a checkbox "use same credentials as for incoming mail”

Since incoming and outgoing can be different, that’s really not that big a deal.

> * and not the f**ing Apple clients don't ask for the new password
>  after the first error

That’s certainly not true. I get asked for my Gmail password all the damn time
(because Google app specific password for 2-factor users don;t work well).

> * frankly a trained monkey could develop the code to enter only username and
> password and try the same credentials on 587 by default instead try first 25
> or send unauthenticated

Sorry, this is not what happens unless, maybe, you allow unauthenticated
submission on port 25? Dunno, I never did that.

Mail.app and iOS first try port 25, then try 587, then try… I think it’s 465?

> the Apple user *never takes notice* if sending fails *never*

That is not true. If sending fails it tells you and asks if you want to use a
different server (if more than one is configured) or asks you ant you want to
do, including try-again or edit the message.

> if you want i can give you a log where the same iPhone for
> weeks tried every 5 minutes send to "somebody[at]gmail.com"
> resulting in 150000 error messages

If you server reject the email, both iOS and OS X do not retry. I have no idea
what you (or your user) did to generate 150,000 error messages, but that is not
what has ever happened here. You cannot send a mail from Apple mail or iOS to
“someone[at]gmail.com. It will reject it before sending.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tm6bvy7v8t1kuu9/Screenshot%202014-06-07%2014.48.53.PNG

If you try to send it anyway, you get:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwpvycgcopn8q7u/Screenshot%202014-06-07%2014.50.38.PNG

The behavior of iOS is similar, though i does not ask you for another server,
it just says the address was rejected by the server and the message was not
sent.

> on the server side and the user even needed 5 mails and finally a phone call
> asking what exectly he don't understand in my mails and why t**uck he don't
> ask or just stop copy blindly protected mail adresses

So your user is dumb?

> in a client developed by monkeys

You sound a lot like an anti-Apple bigot with an axe to grind.

> unable to verify if a addresscan be valid at all by not containing a @

Again, I don’t know what happened, but what you describe is simply not at all
how anything works.

--
'Are you Death?' IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE
SCYTHE.