Wietse Venema wrote:
> As long as the SMTP session still exists, the client may still make
> a mistake, and postscreen will not whitelist it.

Thanks for the explanation.  I am surprised that Amazon's mailservers are so
stupid.

> Don't use deep protocol tests if they cause problems. These tests
> are off by default for a good reason.

Sigh.  Without the deep protocol tests (and the implicit greylisting), my
systems are inundated with spam.  We find that spamassassin is missing far too
many spam messages.  With the deep protocol tests enabled, our spam has been
reduced to almost zero.  So I don't think turning them off is a realistic
option for us.  Thanks for implementing this feature; it really helps.

If we don't use the deep protocol tests, we would probably have to use
something like milter-greylist.  Perhaps that might give a better outcome,
but it is much more complicated to configure.  If anybody is successfully
using postfix with milter-greylist, configuration pointers would be
appreciated.  I have considered greylisting only messages that do not
pass DMARC tests, but since the spammers are already sending messages
that pass SPF and DKIM, I imagine it's only a matter of time before they
set up DMARC records.

For now, the expanded whitelist usage in postscreen_dnsbl_sites seems
to work.

Thanks,
Andy