Am 05.12.2014 um 17:40 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
You may not have been pointing z9m9z at .147 for "years", but
there's a nameserver that is showing that. Also you may have the TTL
at 2 hours on the SOA that you are working with, but there's a
nameserver that's returning answers that is showing 2 days:

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    z9m9z.htt-consult.com.    172799    IN    A    208.83.67.147

just do the math. What matters is not what you *think* things are
set to, but what is showing to others. [also, if you didn't pull the
TTL down before you made changes it really doesn't matter much what
it is now.]

Oh the change was made back in August in prep for a lot of changes.
Still have one more to go, and it will get 'worst', as I just found out
that changing ISPs is no longer just maybe a cost savings, but my
current ISP is dropping their DSL service in my area in a few months.  I
have been with this ISP for a bit more than 7 years.

I will lay odds, this TTL comes from the Registrars' glue record on this
host.  Which of course overrides my TTL on the zone.  I am too rusty on
Dig.  Need to spend time with it again.  Ah for the old days when you
could dig out a whole zone worth of information

surely - GLUE records have a *damned* long TTL because they are chicken/egg

that's why you *never* should use the same A name for NS records and other things because your expectation that the TTL you think is active for the MX or CNAME you now try to changed will be wrong *and* addititionally many nameservers out there answering with old records *log* after the TTL has expired

htt-consult.com. 43200 IN MX 30 z9m9z.htt-consult.com.