On 13 November 2015 at 07:51, Istvan Prosinger <ist...@prosinger.net> wrote:

> The point here is that at the start of this, a temporary deferred mail
> queue will build up signifficantly pushing most of the load on the file
> system, and the idea is to speed up the queue processing to prevent killing
> the server (extending the queue size it can process in a time frame)
> My client wouldn't make a problem to deliver the email after a week but
> I'm afraid that queue lifetime is out of the question (again, because of
> the queue size it would build up)

IME the only issue with queuing is the fsync() overhead when writing to the
queue. For the volumes you're talking about spinning disks might be slow,
but SSDs should be just fine. Everything else should already be cached in
memory by the operating system - in fact, using a tmpfs "steals" memory
that could be used for the OS disk buffer cache.

I think you will buy yourself a lot of (probably unnecessary) pain trying
to subvert Postfix's built-in reliability mechanisms.

(you mentioned using a VPS - all the major ones are 100% SSD these days, at
least here in North America. My Linode VPS is the fastest machine I have!
Also, I would expect modern VPS providers to be running battery-backed
caches down at the host layer - which means you'd already be running in
what is effectively an all-RAM scenario...)

--
Harald