On 2016-09-15 13:55, wie...@porcupine.org wrote:
mro...@insiberia.net:
On 2016-09-14 23:34, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 15.09.2016 um 07:19 schrieb mro...@insiberia.net:
>> Hi, I'm wondering what the downside of setting a large
>> message_size_limit are?
>>
>> By "large" I mean 30MB, 40MB, 50MB
>>
>> I think sendmail has a default of no restriction for message size -
>> that
>> seems crazy, but maybe I don't understand the risks well enough.
>
> some freemailers have a limit of 10 MB, so its perhaps a good choice to
> set it for outgoing external mail, for inside a higher amount up to 50
> sometimes makes sense

I'm aware of the range of limits, for example:

https://www.outlook-apps.com/maximum-email-size/

But can anyone answer my question - what factors should I consider when
increasing the limit in the 30-50MB range (or higher)? Are there
drawbacks to doing this?

Obviously, the size of the file system determines how large your
email messages can be.  Postfix will stop accepting mail delivery
transactions when the free space in the queue directory is less
than 1.5 times the message size limit.

I see, so Postfix doesn't experience any bottlenecks or congestion in other ways with 50MB+ attachments? If size of filesystem is the main concern, quotas are easy way to keep it under control. In that case, is there argument against a limit of say 100MB?