On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 04:12:32PM -0800, MRob wrote:
> On 2017-03-09 14:35, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 12:44:04PM -0800, MRob wrote:
> >>Are there any admins with opinions where in the order is best
> >>for postmaster/abuse whitelisting?
> >
> >My opinion is "don't do it."  I use smtpd_reject_footer to
> >point to my web page for frustrated human senders.  If they're
> >not smart enough to read the fine error message they got,
> >they're going to struggle with fixing the problem, also.
> >
> >One thing my page suggests is that they can contact me through
> >any typical freemail services, such as gmail, Yahoo, and GMX.
> >Which is true: my postscreen and smtpd restrictions do not
> >block them.
>
> OK, that's a great idea. Thank you for the tip. Is this quite
> common?

I can't speak to what is common, nor do I think anyone truly can.
But I can tell you my story.

I tried that, once, bypassing restrictions for my postmaster@ and
abuse@ addresses.  Of all the addresses I have, my postmaster@
addresses are the most heavily spammed.

My site is small but it cannot be exclusive, because it's a free
software project with worldwide users and contributors.  I've only
seen a handful of actual, legitimate messages to postmaster.  (And
then a few non-spam that should not have been sent to postmaster,
also.)

Sure, you can do what you want, and in theory it sounds prudent to
exempt postmaster & abuse from spam controls, but in practice, it
turns out only to be a way to get yourself a lot more spam.

I don't have enough rejections to be able to gauge what others are
doing at their sites.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/