On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:05:07PM -0400, J Doe wrote:
> I have two questions regarding using SPF when I am using Postfix
> with virtual domain hosting.
>
> I currently have an SPF record in my DNS:
>
> example.com    TXT    “v=spf1 ip4:1.2.3.4/32 ip6:1:2:3::4/128 ?all”
.............^no dot?   ^ ...... non-ASCII quote characters ....... ^

Yes, probably just copy/paste errors, but attention to detail is
important.

> I virtually host a domain (in this example case, example.com),
> that is set to forward mail to recipients on Gmail.

Usually "virtual" means "using the Postfix virtual(8) delivery
agent," but clearly in this case you means something else, like a
relay domain or virtual alias domain.

I don't get why, if you're wanting to read the mail via gmail, you
don't just pay Google to host the domain?  That would be MUCH
simpler.

> As an example case, if I send an e-mail from a Hotmail account to
> an address on my server it then forwards that mail to the user’s
> GMail e-mail address.

Another example to consider is when spam gets through your lines of
defense, and you forward that spam on to gmail.  El Goog thinks
you're the spam source, and they might block you!

(I'm leaving the SPF/DKIM/DMARC questions for others, but holding
to the point that forwarding spam *will* cause big problems.)
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/