Viktor Dukhovni:

> > On Feb 19, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> >
> > Done. This release candidate also adds 22 missing parameter names
> > to the proxy_read_maps setting (plus the script that generated those
> > entries).
>
> With so many values in the default setting of proxy_read_maps, and
> given that many users need to add additional tables to the list,
> perhaps this is a good time to introduce a "default_proxy_read_maps"
> parameter:
>
>   default_proxy_read_maps = ... release-dependent-compile-time-list
>   proxy_read_maps = ${default_proxy_read_maps}
>
> That way, a user can just set:
>
>   proxy_read_maps = ${default_proxy_read_maps} ... user-specified ...

Couple things.

Assuming that we have no new features in a stable release candidate.

If we do this for proxy_read_maps, then why not for other parameters,
too? How would we justify why some parameter has this and some other
parameter does not? I'd like to avoid new WTF user experiences.

Should all Postfix settings have an automatic default pseudo-parameter,
so that we can avoid WTFs? If so, what would the magic prefix be? We
already have 23 real "default_..." parameters, so that may not be
a good choice.

Should we introduce support for "name = $name ..." or "name += ..."?
(Probaly not, because it complicates editing main/master.cf with the
postconf command).