> On Feb 19, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
>
> Couple things.
>
> Assuming that we have no new features in a stable release candidate.
>
> If we do this for proxy_read_maps, then why not for other parameters,
> too? How would we justify why some parameter has this and some other
> parameter does not? I'd like to avoid new WTF user experiences.

Yes, this could be useful in more cases, though "proxy_read_maps"
is singularly compelling.

> Should all Postfix settings have an automatic default pseudo-parameter,
> so that we can avoid WTFs?

This could make sense.

> If so, what would the magic prefix be?

It would perhaps make sense to go with "builtin_" rather than "default_",
given all the "default_" prefixes for transport-neutral values, which are
not the same sort of beast.

> We already have 23 real "default_..." parameters, so that may not be
> a good choice.

Agreed.

> Should we introduce support for "name = $name ..." or "name += ..."?
> (Probaly not, because it complicates editing main/master.cf with the
> postconf command).

I'd go with "name += " if it were feasible, but having the defaults
explicitly accessible does look easier to work with, given machine-
editing...

--
        Viktor.