On 2018-02-20 (02:35 MST), Karol Augustin <ka...@augustin.pl> wrote:

> On 2018-02-19 23:13, @lbutlr wrote:
>> On 2018-02-19 (09:35 MST), Alex <mysqlstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In other words, if the sasl_username is alice, I'd like to restrict the
>>> envelope sender and From address to only legitimate accounts belonging to
>>> that sasl user.
>>
>> This may break many people's workflows.
>>
>> For example, most people have many email addresses, and rather than
>> try to manage many different servers, they will pick their "best"
>> server to send their email through.
>
> Any modern email client uses autoconfiguration this days and it is
> actually very hard to set things up as you describe (using identities
> etc.) in comparison to proper setup with one submission server per
> account.

It obviosuly is not since I see a lot of mail "from" gmail addresses going out
via my server.

>> So, when I send an email to someone from my google account, it
>> probably doesn't go through google's submission servers.
>
> This might have been the case a decade ago but now doing this will most
> probably put that e-mail in spam. Sending e-mails on behalf of other
> domains breaks SPF, DKIM, DMARC and is in general considered spoofing.

Nearly everything breaks SPF and nearly no-one cares about DKIM.

> You should be prepared for complaints if you ARE allowing this.
>
> Try to send email from non-gmail address using gmail account.

I've done this as well (like when my server is down but I need to send
something "from" my admin account. But it's been a couple of years.

>> Now, you might not care, but you might be prepared for the complaints.
>>
>> A better choice is to rate limit users.
>>
>> You can also check if the sender@yourdomain is a valid account, but
>> then again, there are reasons someone (a company, especially) might
>> want an invalid sender.
>>
>> And you'll break mailing lists if you aren't careful.
>
> How? What restricting users to send mail only from addresses they own
> has to do with mailing lists?

Because the envelope may not contain exactly the end-user's email address and
if you assume it will, you will break things.

--
Beware of the Leopard!