Zach Sheppard:
> I did as you suggested and opened a console on the VMWare host, did a tail
> of the mail log, and it sent mail for a good 5-10 minutes before finally
> becoming unresponsive. I tried to Ctrl-C out of tail, nothing. I've done

Thanks for confirming that the ENTIRE SYSTEM LOCKS UP. Evidently
something cannot handle the load of system calls that Postfix makes.
That should be enough cause to look for a better system. I do not
expect that the problem is with VMware itself, but I cannot exclude
that it is caused by some conservative configuration.