Hi,

I have been reading about the ESMTP CHUNKING extension (RFC 3030), after
noticing that both Hotmail and Gmail advertise it on EHLO.

I checked the Postfix man pages (man 5 postconf), as well as the Postfix
documentation at postfix.org [1] and can’t see any documentation related to it.

Some Googling of the mail archives showed posts from 2014, while another Google
showed a reference [2] to Postfix from 2017:

    “IMSVA (SMTP server) uses Postfix as its MTA, which doesn’t support
CHUNKING”

Given Postfix’s excellent security track record, was this extension not
implemented due to security concerns or is it obsolete (I checked the RFC and
didn’t see a notice of being obsolete), and Hotmail and Gmail advertise it for
legacy support ?

Genuinely curious and not an implementation request or criticism.

Thanks,

- J

Sources:
[1] www.postfix.org/documentation.html