> Hi Bill and Wietse,
>
> Thank you for your replies.
>
> Ah, thank you for the warning regarding SpamCop - and also for the note about
> weighting being a postscreen only feature.
>
> I was wondering if perhaps one of the reasons why people tend to use SMTP
> restrictions instead of postscreen is related
> to history - IIRC, postscreen came later, so perhaps the reason why I see
> many examples advocating SMTP restrictions
> is because that’s how people kept spam away before the release of postscreen ?
>
> In terms of weighting, I am assuming that one thing I could do when I have
> more than one DNSBL (say, 2) is to set a threshold of
> 2 and have each list weighted as 1 (the default).  That would mean that an IP
> address would have to be listed on both
> lists before being banned, correct ?

As a follow-on - I have migrated the DNSBL blocking to SMTPD restrictions to
see what SMTP transaction data is recorded.
I may revert that back to postscreen, with weighting, but as this is a lower
volume server I thought it would be interesting
to try this out and gather some data.

I note, though, that I can place a reject_rbl_client statement in multiple
places (ie: smtpd_client_restrictions, smtpd_recipient_restrictions).
For spam, wouldn’t I always want this in smtpd_client_restrictions because the
senders IP address is presented here and can be
looked up on the DNSBL ?  Why would I want to put it later in the transaction
at say: smtpd_recipient_restrictions ?

Thanks,

- J