Noel Jones wrote on Thu, 8 Aug 2019 10:49:54 -0500:

> That looks like a policy service and not a milter.

Yeah, right. It's a dovecot authenticator I think.

> Regardless, postfix accepts mail, running it through all configured
> milters, restrictions, and policy services, then puts it in the
> queue.  THEN it consults the transport table to see where to deliver
> it.  (this is somewhat over-simplification, but should answer your
> question)

Yeah, thanks! The milter is getting consulted every time.
I think it works now.

And I've found out about the mysterious holds. It was an old header_check
file on that machine. It wasn't used until I copied over the uncommented
header_check directive.

Thanks!

Kai