On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 16:22:40 -0400 (EDT) Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org>
wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra:
> > So, I am wondering if I it is possible to have a setup whereby
> > postfix is delayed unless/until VPN is up and running. If VPN is
> > down, then I would like postfix to be delayed until such time as
> > it comes up. If it is possible, how do I go about doing this? Other
> > ideas?
>
> Wietse:
> > Before VPN goes down:
> >
> > # postconf defer_transports=smtp
> > # postfix reload
> >
> > After VPN comes up:
> >
> > # postconf -X defer_transports
> > # postfix reload
>
> Ranjan Maitra:
> > Thank you for this! I am very new to this so would like some more
> > advice. Where do I put this? Also, I have control over it going
> > up but not always over it going down (which appears to be sometimes
> > arbitrary). How do I do that?
>
> If you want to automatically execute those commands, then you need
> to run a program that periodically determines if the VPN is up, and
> that invokes the above commands when the VPN status changes.
>
> In your case, it may be sufficient to query the VPN network device
> status.
>
> Totally untested code follows:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> while :
> do
>     ifconfig xxx | egrep 'UP|DOWN'
>     sleep 2
> done | while read status
> case "$status" in
> *UP*) if [ "$prev" -ne up ]
>     then
>       prev=up
>       postconf -X defer_transports
>       postfix reload
>     fi;;
>  *) if [ "$prev" -ne down ]
>     then
>       prev=down
>       postconf defer_transports=smtp
>       postfix reload
>     fi;;
> esac

Thank you! I presume that this should go in as a cron job. I will try this out
and let you know, but at least it is a good place for me to at least start if
not more.

Many thanks again and best wishes,
Ranjan
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on
receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing
to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.