Bob Proulx wrote:
Jason Bailey wrote:
It is indeed being generated internally. The RCPT TO is there, but
because it lacks a MAIL FROM, we are seeing some email providers
drop the message, presumably because it looks like UCE/spam.

"some email providers"?  That makes it sound like you are generating
bounces to random places on the net.  That makes it sound like you
have an open relay problem.

We are trying to get the manufacturer of the system to acknowledge
the problem and address it, but they're currently insisting there's
no problem. In the mean time I've got important emails that aren't
getting delivered.

Your description is too vague to be useful.  Details, or it didn't
happen.

I was hoping to get Postfix to fill it in so that the resulting
email traversing the public Internet was standards compliant and
less likely to get filtered by someone else's UCE solution.

Bounce messages from the MAILER-DAEMON using <> *are* standards
compliant.  That isn't the problem.  It is definitely not the first
problem to be solved.  The first problem to be solved is to debug and
fix why you are generating those bounce messages.

To my reading of Jason's first message, the widget/appliance/app that's generating the original emails is, in and of itself, (mis)using the null sender on (some of) its own original messages, because Reasons.

Jason wants to take those messages, and overwrite a correct envelope sender address onto them.

-kgd