Bill Cole wrote:
> michaelof wrote:
> > I've a generic question to all more experienced than me postfix users
> > here: Is it nowadays (reasonable) possible to run postfix with IPv6
> > only? E.g  "mail.example.com" and "smtp.example.com" with only ipv6 AAAA
> > records in the DNS, no A / ipv4 anymore?
>
> No.

Agreed.  No.  You will not be able to exchange email with many sites.

> > I'm only not sure if there might be "IPv4-only" email providers out
> > there, whose emails might not be routed to my "IPv6-only" postfix.
>
> There are many.
>
> Some do not yet have IPv6 service yet.

I have a site using CenturyLink since that is the only option
available.  And CenturyLink there does not support IPv6!  Which I find
amazing but still true.  I am anxiously waiting for a city fiber
project which is every so slowly progressing so that a connection to
the new fiber ring might be made.  Until that time it has IPv4 only.

> Some have IPv6 connectivity and address space but no motivation to make
> their mail systems use IPv6. There are reasons to avoid sending over IPv6
> and very few if any significant reasons to want to send or receive over
> IPv6. If one has a working IPv4-only mail system, adding IPv6 is pure work
> for no discernible benefit.

How are working and available IPv6 DNSBLs progressing?  That's a
critical component which I would love to hear is no longer a missing
component.

Bob