Alex wrote:
> it's not so much that end-users are modifying the config in the same
> way as webmin does, like making changes directly to main.cf, but
> type in the name of a new domain to be added to relay_domains, for
> example. The script then then modifies main.cf to apply that change.

In that case the expected thing would be to use database tables to
hold those configuration values.  Then have your web UI interface
update those database tables.  That obviates the need to modify the
main.cf file.

    http://www.postfix.org/MYSQL_README.html

This still places the general security of the system with the security
of the web UI.  Really no difference there.  But it removes the need
to edit the cf files.

Let me gently suggest looking into holding the things you need to
change in database tables.  And then interfacing with those with your
web UI.  Then...  Profit! :-)

Bob