On 2/10/2021 3:20 PM, Ron Garret wrote:
Hello (not helo :-)

I am working on a spam filter and so I find myself spending a lot more quality
time with mail logs than I used to.  One of the things I have noticed is that I
will get a lot of connections that send a HELO command and then disconnect.
Sometimes I get this repeated several times a minute from the same IP for hours
on end.  What is going on here?  Should I block these IPs?  Am I being scanned?
 By what?  To what end?

Thanks,
rg

Each connecting IP may have a different reason...

My first two thoughts are either a broken spambot, or an MTA that doesn't like something about your server's response.

Probably not a scan or anything to be overly concerned with, unless it looks like you might want their mail. Unless they repeat thousands of times for hours it's not worth blocking - just ignore them.

  -- Noel Jones