Dnia 23.04.2021 o godz. 08:36:36 Nicky Thomassen pisze:

> With the risk of going off-topic, I do not see the reason for encrypting
> everything on the internet from a more practical point of view, as it just
> gives
> overhead: It takes time to set up and maintain, takes processing power on both
> ends, and in the case of Postfix, makes no sense since there is nothing to
> protect.
>
> Encryption gives (ideally) authenticity, confidentiality and integrity
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_security#Basic_principles
>
> But there is no need for that on a read-only site like Postfix'. In my
> opinion,
> anyway.

You are totally right, but I think the main reason for encrypting everything
is just the pressure from browser developers trying to enforce this. For me,
it is like someone started to imagine ALL websites being e-commerce (or
similar) websites, where you have to process your private data, so
encryption is needed. Like someone forgot about existence of publicly
available, purely information-oriented websites, where there is nothing to
encrypt...
(For example, the Wikipedia link you quoted above is HTTPS. What is there on
publicly available site like Wikipedia - except maybe your login
credentials, if you have an account there - that needs encryption? ;))

Going back on-topic :), I think that somewhat similar situation is with use
of SPF and/or DMARC. To my knowledge, SPF/DMARC was never meant for
"general" use. It has been invented as a way to protect particular
"sensitive" sender domains (eg. the domain from which you get e-mails from
your bank) from being easily spoofed. However, "thanks" to Google and other
big e-mail providers who started to enforce that EVERY email send to them
must pass SPF/DMARC check - as a method of "antispam protection" (which it
isn't, because spammer can have a perfectly valid SPF/DMARC setup) - people
were forced to adopt it universally, whether necessary or not (which for
example causes problems with mailing lists).
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa