On 2021-05-22 8:05 a.m., Wietse Venema wrote:

J Doe:
A section that is shared in all of the service daemon man pages is
"CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS".  In bounce(8) there are parameters under
this section that relate to delivery status notifications.  For
instance: delay_notice_recipient.  This made me think that bounce(8) is
solely responsible for DSN's.

Wietse:
No it's not. The bounce daemon *uses* the time to warn in notifications
(your message could not be delivered for more than
$delay_warning_time_hours hours).

The cleanup daenon *stores* the time to warn in queue files.

Additionally, the queue manager *enforces* the time to warn by
requesting that a warning notification is sent.

J Doe:
Ok, would the more accurate takeaway be that more than one daemon can
consult/consume a parameter in main.cf and the fact that a parameter is
listed in a service daemon man page does _not_ mean that that one daemon
"owns" the parameter ?

It means that the parameter setting is *used* by the program. There
are dozens of parameters that are used in more than one program.
queue_directory, soft_bounce, myhostname, mail_name, line_length_limit,
and many more.

        Wietse

Hi Wietse,

Ok, great - thank you for clarifying that for me.

- J