> On 6 Nov 2021, at 3:43 pm, Jeff Abrahamson <j...@p27.eu> wrote:
>
> In main.cf I have set
>
>     recipient_delimiter = +
>
> Reading the docs, I don't see anything else I ought to set for this to
> work: postfix should first try delivery to jeff+post...@p27.eu, then
> j...@p27.eu, and this second is known to succeed.

You're mistaken, Postfix never tried a bare delivery address when
a delivery to address+extension fails.  All that ever happened is
that *TABLE LOOKUPS* would try the bare address.

> My expectation is that dovecot is not involved in this issue, but I'm
> not sure, so I mention anyway that that I have set

Dovecot likely (at least by default) knows nothing about address
extensions.  If you want to use the extension to select the delivery
mailbox, or even to be ignored for delivery to the Inbox by default,
you have to configure dovecot to support that.

>     virtual_transport = dovecot

Perhaps you were using the Postfix virtual(8) transport by default,
and taking advantage of virtual_mailbox_maps (TABLE LOOKUP) using
the bare address when address+extension fails to match.

If you want dovecot to see the bare address, you'll need a
virtual alias table entry:

        j...@p27.eu     j...@p27.eu

and make sure to remove (not include) "virtual" in:

    propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical

the default setting includes "virtual".

        Viktor.