On 06/11/2021 23:34, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>> On 6 Nov 2021, at 3:43 pm, Jeff Abrahamson <j...@p27.eu> wrote:
>>
>> In main.cf I have set
>>
>>     recipient_delimiter = +
>>
>> Reading the docs, I don't see anything else I ought to set for this to
>> work: postfix should first try delivery to jeff+post...@p27.eu, then
>> j...@p27.eu, and this second is known to succeed.
> You're mistaken, Postfix never tried a bare delivery address when
> a delivery to address+extension fails.  All that ever happened is
> that *TABLE LOOKUPS* would try the bare address.

I stand corrected, thanks.

>> My expectation is that dovecot is not involved in this issue, but I'm
>> not sure, so I mention anyway that that I have set
> Dovecot likely (at least by default) knows nothing about address
> extensions.  If you want to use the extension to select the delivery
> mailbox, or even to be ignored for delivery to the Inbox by default,
> you have to configure dovecot to support that.

ok, which is off-topic here, understood.  Thanks.

>>     virtual_transport = dovecot
> Perhaps you were using the Postfix virtual(8) transport by default,
> and taking advantage of virtual_mailbox_maps (TABLE LOOKUP) using
> the bare address when address+extension fails to match.

I was.  I hadn't associated that change with this behaviour, but that
makes sense.

> If you want dovecot to see the bare address, you'll need a
> virtual alias table entry:
>
>       j...@p27.eu     j...@p27.eu

That line already existed in virtual-mailbox-users.

I added it to virtual, where it did not exist.

> and make sure to remove (not include) "virtual" in:
>
>     propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical
>
> the default setting includes "virtual".

I didn't have that line at all.  I added it to main.cf.
And that sorted the issue: mail to jeff+someth...@p27.eu delivers to
j...@p27.eu.

Thanks!

--