On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 11:39:52AM -0500, post...@aecperformance.com wrote:

> VPS Ubuntu 20.04 postfix 3.4.13 and dovecot 2.3.7.2
>
> Virtual Mailboxes MySql
>

> Our server hosts multiple mail domains each having multiple email addresses.
>
> Domain: sizzelicks.com has an MX record pointing to mail.sizzelicks.com
> showing the IP: 194:163:45:150 which is our VPS IP.
>
> https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3asizzelicks.com&run=toolpage
>

> We have a domain: sizzelicks.com (I tried mail.sizzelicks.com also) in our
> MySql virtual_domains table.

The virtual domain should be sizzelicks.com (which is
to be used in the email addresses themselves), not
mail.sizzelicks.com (which is just the target of
sizzelicks.com's MX record).

> We have an address: smok...@sizzelicks.com <mailto:smok...@sizzelicks.com>
> as the email field in our MySql virtual_ users table.
>
> Command line tests:
>
> sudo postmap -q sizzelicks.com
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-mailbox-domains.cf
>
> 1
>
> sudo postmap -q smok...@sizzelicks.com
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-mailbox-maps.cf
>
> 1
>
> sudo postmap -q spa...@sizzelicks.com
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-alias-maps.cf
>
> smok...@sizzelicks.com
>

> I cannot send an email to smok...@sizzelicks.com.
> I've tried setting the domain (MySql virtual_domains) as both sizzelicks.com
> and mail.sizzelicks.com.
> The email bounces in either case.

I just tried to send an email to smok...@sizzelicks.com
but the connection timed out. nmap shows:

  > nmap -sT mail.sizzelicks.com
  Starting Nmap 7.92 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-12-05 13:08 AEDT
  Nmap scan report for mail.sizzelicks.com (194.163.45.150)
  Host is up (0.19s latency).
  Other addresses for mail.sizzelicks.com (not scanned): 2a02:4780:10:e096::1
  rDNS record for 194.163.45.150: aecperformance.com
  Not shown: 995 filtered tcp ports (no-response)
  PORT    STATE  SERVICE
  20/tcp  closed ftp-data
  21/tcp  open   ftp
  22/tcp  open   ssh
  80/tcp  open   http
  443/tcp closed https

  Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 13.78 seconds

It looks like neither Postfix nor Dovecot are running
there right now. Could that have been the case when you
tried? Presumably not, or Thunderbird wouldn't have been
able to connect.

> I created an account for smok...@sizzelicks.com
> <mailto:smok...@sizzelicks.com>  in Thunderbird on a Windows client.
>
> If I set the IMAP and SMTP server as sizzelicks.com Thunderbird will
> connect.
>
> If I set the IMAP and SMTP server as mail.sizzelicks.com Thunderbird will
> NOT connect.

If the connection you are referring to is the IMAP
(port 143) connection (as opposed to the port 587
connection), the problem might be related to the domain
names associated with the TLS certificate. Thunderbird
expects the hostname to match the certificate (at least
for IMAP/POP). But if that were the problem, Thunderbird
would connect but it would then probably tell you that
the certificate is invalid and refuse to use it.

The certificate you are using is a LetsEncrypt
certificate for mail.softlinksys.com. Perhaps that
certificate includes the domain sizzelicks.com but not
mail.sizzelicks.com. That might explain why an IMAPS
connection in Thunderbird succeeds with one but not the
other. You can check which domains are include in that
certificate with "sudo certbot certificates". You might
need to add the mail.sizzelicks.com domain to that
certificate (or tell Thunderbird to connect to the
host mail.softlinksys.com instead).

> How can I correlate sizzelicks.com with mail.sizzelicks.com in postfix and
> dovecot.

Not sure, but bear in mind that, even though they have
the same IP addresses, sizzelicks.com belongs in the
email addresses, and mail.sizzelicks.com belongs in
attempts to connect to the mail server, because the MX
record for sizzelicks.com points to
mail.sizzelicks.com. So Thunderbird should be
connecting to mail.sizzelicks.com (or maybe
mail.softlinksys.com). If it doesn't work, check
Thunderbird's error messages. I think it has a
"connection doctor" that you can look at.

> How can I debug/resolve this problem?

Um, you might need a new service provider. I looked at
the webpage for softlinksys.com (the value of
$myhostname) and there's an image of a sign saying:

  "Sorry We're CLOSED Out of business"

Your first step is to get Postfix and Dovecot running on the/a server.
Then you can try to send an email again and look for the relevant
log messages.

cheers,
raf